Friday, March 27, 2020

Shell Point and Covid-19, March 27, 2020

I have hoisted my keyboard onto the desk again to talk about my current situation, March 2020, in the midst of the covid-19 pandemic. It has been a few years since I posted, but my( our) life has gone right ahead, with a recent move to Shell Point Retirement Center, that some of you knew about. I recently found the picture above, which looks strikingly like the first picture of "The Island" where we live. Indeed it is another island, but actually is a view of Rikers Island. Not a place I would like to be right now, and I have compassion for all New Yorkers in the present crisis. But it makes me think about the state of reduced activity in this retirement community. We are observing social distancing and all group activities have been halted. We are free to leave our apartment, and we do, for wonderful walks along the river. We can leave the island , but are screened about contacts made while off campus upon return. We are extremely fortunate to be able to go visit our previous home in south Ft Myers. There I have my fruit trees to tend, and even harvest, which adds to our menu. On campus we spend more time indoors, and more importantly, on our spacious screen porch which overlooks the beautiful park, including with a pizza=pie slice of the Caloosahatchie River. The porch includes a dining table and, of course, several potted plants. Soon I hope to have a garden plot here. We do some cooking for ourselves, get some groceries delivered, and carry out some meals from the nearby dining room. The picture below reminds me of the "Angalus" atmosphere here, where the daily chapel bells remind us to stop and reflect. Actually the confinement is a little like being in a monastery. Except, of course, we have each other. I am actually spending more time meditating and reading and painting. Who knows,soon we may even complete the monastic atmosphere by baking bread!




1 comment:

  1. Very good Bill. I was able to open it by copying it and pasting in my Google Address on my Mac. for some reason it would not open on my iPhone or iPad. I cannot open on my PC in MS word. I do not have Pages on my PC.

    Again HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    ReplyDelete